Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Radiation

This has been such a frustrating word to me.  It means the end of my cancer treatment but it has been so long in coming and there has been so much drama and energy wasted.  Today I had my first of 33 sessions.  Of course they don't tell you in advance that the first session is spent doing xrays and making sure everything is lined up.  An hour later I was finally out of there.  I was asked, however, to make sure I was there a little early in the morning so they could get me right in.  My appointment today was at 8:00 and I was there at 7:49.  I asked how much earlier they wanted me to be there and they said, "Oh by 7:45 would be good."  OKAY!!!  I don't see what difference 4 minutes is going to make but in the morning I will be there by 7:35.  I tend to arrive 10 minutes early for appointments like this (at least). 

Otherwise, what can I say about radiation.  There is a lot of pushing and pulling and positioning.  There is rolling and poking and adjusting.  This is the one time I was told to put the johnny on the right way (with the opening in the back).   I, of course, have been instructed for the past year to leave it open in the front so that is what I did, only to be told that the opening can be in the back for radiation so I "will be more comfortable."  These are the little annoyances that make me flustered. 

To top it off, there is concern about swelling in my breast.  They had to do xrays twice because "the inferior portion keeps moving".  I guess my breasts are breathing now.  Whatever.  I will not be a happy camper if they tell me that I have to wait until the swelling goes down in order to receive the radiation.  Just get it done already!  For today, 1 down, 32 to go.  More to follow.

Keeping the faith! :~)
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment