Saturday, August 6, 2011

August already, and almost half over at that!

Last night I spent my first night in a tent in almost forever.  We used to tent camp when we were in our early 20s.  Once the kids came along we moved to a camper and then, because my older child was such a pill about camping, we stopped entirely.  We recently decided we wanted to start going again so I bought a tent -- a big tent!  It sleeps 10 people (although we never plan to have that many people in it).  It is a 3-room "vacation lodge."  So anyway, we have had it set up in the yard to season and Steve mentioned he wanted to take it down to mow the lawn.  I figured, why not?!  So, last night Steve and I blew up the air mattress and took our bedclothes to the tent.  No I did not draw out the sleeping bags because it would have been too hot.  I took our 1500 count sheets and put them on the air mattress and we slept outside.  I have to say I got the best night sleep I have gotten in forever.  The only wrinkle was when I heard "something" walking through the gravel in the firepit.  We live in NH after all so I know we have animals that roam the woods at night but I did not get to see what it was.  It sounded kind of big, but not bear big.  I think it could have been a fox or maybe a fisher cat.  Either way, it walked through the firepit, by the tent, and then off into the woods.  After that it was back to sleep.  Today the tent came down.  It got dried out and then rolled out and now will be put away until we decide to take it out into the world.  I have to say, I loved the whole experience.  The air mattress was comfortable (queen size).  The tent was big so we had the air mattress at one end, room in the middle to set up a table and could have used the other end for camping chairs.  It would be extremely comfortable for two people.  I am sure it will work well with four of us too. 

Anyway, back to reality.  I am not very happy with my children right now.  My older child has forgotten that respect is still expected even when you are an adult child.  In my eyes when I ask a question if you have the information I am looking for then you answer the question -- not evade it by saying "It's none of my business."  I understand the reticence to not get involved in the situation but it is not acceptable to not answer a direct question.  We will talk about it later!  And the other one... well, I am just tired of her half-ass doing everything.  She is responsible for her own situation and refuses to accept that responsibility.  I am so tired of hearing that it is someone else's fault for her shortcomings.  Time to grow up and face reality -- and unfortunately I am sure that she will very soon, as far as her job is concerned. 

As for me, I am okay.  The effects of the last chemo treatment have pretty much worn off.  I had my last MRI and echo yesterday and I will get those results next week.  School is going okay and this semester will end very soon.  I am registered for two classes next semester, both on campus, so it might be a little more challenging.  I am going to try very hard to keep on track, or even a little ahead.  I now have two weeks before I have to return for any more poking and prodding (preop testing is on 8/23).  Surgery is on 8/30.  It is going to be day surgery and I am sure I will be sore and tired for a week or so afterwards.  I will try not to whine.  One foot in front of the other and one day at a time. 

Keeping the faith!  :~)
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment